Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Do I need to be worried about this small bruise being caused

Customer Question
by a blood clot? I...
Do I need to be worried about this small bruise being caused by a blood clot? I have health anxiety so I get worked up about anything and everything. I'm not having any trouble bending my arm and there's no lump, just this small bruise on my arm. Photos will be attached. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Here are the photos. Ignore the things at the top part of my hand those are burns from a curling iron.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do have a history of blood clot in my lung and it's believed to have come from my leg no I have never had one in my arm.
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/5/2016
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Its really nothing to worry about. Bruises over blood clots diminish over 2 weeks. You should not let your health anxiety get the best of you over this. Your function is not disturbed and you have no pain, so rest assured.

I would suggest that you keep this covered as much as you can so that your attention is not diverted towards it. Wearing a full sleeve shirt / upper or covering this with an arm band will help.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Best.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm a little confused by the answer, if there is a blood clot in my arm don't I need to be seen in the ER? It's turned more red colored in the past hour (see photo) so I'm still concerned. Thank you.

No, blood clots do not travel to the arm. This does not look like a blood clot you are talking about. And does not raise any concern of going to the ER.

The blood clots that are caused by DVT (in the thighs and legs), can not make their way to the arms.

Best.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you're saying this does not look like an arm clot? I know they can start in the arm, that's what I'm concerned about.

This is not a clot.

Clots that occur in the arm spontaneously tend to be very painful and the arm swells up.

Please do leave a positive rating.

Best.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor