Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My mothers bloodpressure spikes at times to 220 ....they

Customer Question
my mothers bloodpressure spikes at...
my mothers bloodpressure spikes at times to 220 ....they checked out almost everything ..kidneys ..the only answer they give her " its psycological " ..however it does accur very random and not necessary in conjunction with any kind of stress ... I think there has to be some reason why it goes up so high....could there be an endocrine explanation ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/1/2016
Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 1 year ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Yes likely.

Surge in catecholamines can cause this.

This is seen in pheochromocytoma --tumor in the sympathetic nerve chains or in the adrenal glands.

A kidney specialist should be consulted with.

24 hour urine free metanephrine levels should be checked.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hello

Pheochromacytoma usually means high blood pressure that does not come and go.

Also flushing.

Also headaches.

It is also rare.

Although possible, not likely.

Heart disease [hypertrophy] can make blood pressure difficult to control.

So can kidney disease.

So can hyperthyroidism.

The most common cause is essential hypertension, and if it jumps around, it is lack of medical management.

In this case, she needs to be on a medication. If there are spikes, then medication adjustement.

I am a double board certified US doctor.

Find me as needed.

Please click a positive rating.

Hi there,

I am the original expert who suggested the possibility of pheochromocytoma.

This condition can be misdiagnosed as symptoms like headache, flushing may not be present.

Any blood pressure spike that high raises the question of pheochromocytoma.

Another possibility is primary hyperaldosteronism.

This requires plasma renin and aldosterone ratio determination.

That is why a kidney specialist should be consulted with.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
This is the link to my profile:

Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist