How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Basu Your Own Question
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 29053
Experience:  MD
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Basu is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mom in law had a feeding tube inserted in her abdomen

Customer Question

My mom in law had a feeding tube inserted in her abdomen while she was hospitalized in Chicago. We recently brought her home to Atlanta and she no longer uses it (for 10 days) she eats fine and has no problem ambulating swallowing, etc. Ive called around top a few Docs asking if they could remove it and they have all said the doctor who inserted it must remove it. I think its a simple catheter with balloon device inserted into her stomach.
Are there doctors who will remove it at a hospital or do I literally have to fly her back to Chicago to get it removed?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

That is not true.

Any doctor can remove it with experience.

If it is held by a balloon then it can be deflated by a syringe and then pulled out.

This can be done by any gastroenterologist or general surgeon.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile: