Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

The past few days I have been had some gh systolic pressure

Customer Question

The past few days I have been had some high systolic pressure readings. For example, 172 over 85, 166 over 83, etc. Is there anything I can do to lower it? I have to be honest here.... I am a nervous wreck whenever I put the cuff on. I am so worried about what the reading is going to be that I can feel myself get flustered.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. This can be essential hypertension but yes you assumption is also right, this can be secondary to anxiety. Anxiety is one of the major causes of high blood pressure. There is a term called white coat hypertension. In this people get high blood pressure reading while doctor is taking blood pressure. In your case, you are taking it yourself but the cause can be same. You should exercise regularly, do breathing exercises 5 times a day, you can start with garlic supplements. They are over the counter available and help in such cases. At these values, definitely you should visit your doctor to get yourself examined and investigated because causes other than anxiety should be ruled out and you may need blood pressure and/or anxiety medicines. Don't worry you are going to be alright. Just relax yourself. Take your blood pressure daily after waking up in the morning. It will be more reliable as you will be relaxed at that time. Take a record of 7 to 10 days to your doctor so that he may prescribe you medicines accordingly. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards