How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Phil, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 56606
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Phil, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a generally healthy man, now almost 76 years old. On

Customer Question

I am a generally healthy man, now almost 76 years old. On this day 17 years ago I had my prostate removed. Cancer had been detected in an examination in which I had volunteered at a New York hospital that was testing men with low urinary efficiency.
The surgeon who did the operation was able to protect all of the urinary elements. Within about 6 weeks, I had learned to control my urination, with the help of Kegel exercises.
Within the following year, my wife and I were able to have good intercourse, and my wife rapidly appreciated that she didn't need to cope with the liquid that had formerly followed.
My wife, now 76, adapted well during her "change" and has recovered remarkably from two knee replacements and some careful adjustments of her heart. More recently, however, we have been less successful with intercourse.
We have used some Viagra and Cialis, but it they have been prone to timing problems and questionable reactions.
I have learned some of the recent suggestions about effective use of Kegel exercises, and only today did I learn that there are comparable exercises for women. They will soon get her attention!
BO***** *****NE: Would you have any additional suggestions based on your impressive experiences over the past 15 years?
Thank you!
Howard Francis
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.


Good attitude, exercise, good diet.

If viagra an cialis don't work, then levitra can be tried, per your doctors supervision, which Ihope was the case with the first two drugs.

Testosterone levels should be checked.

Also to be ruled out:

vascular problems


psychological disturbances

medication effects

A urologist can also help if there are any uncertainties physically.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very professional. Unfortunately nothing new.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Did you have a question that is not answered?

For something new, you need to see my additional services offer.

I am board certified in internal medicine, but also integrative medicine.

Please click a positive above, or, let me know if there is another question, or, please accept the add services offer and we will go into integrative medicine as well.

Please realize that we are not paid for our time spent, but per positive rating, for bonuses and for accepted additional services offers.

Let me know if you have further information or questions.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Also, the rating scale is at the top of the answer page.

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

I am another expert and would like to offer another opinion

Would you consider injectable medication or a vacuum pump to help with erections?