Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

We just got back spinal MRI scans on my 20 yr old son which

Customer Question

We just got back spinal MRI scans on my 20 yr old son which incidentally showed quite a few bilateral kidney cysts
What should we hope our family doctor will pursue regarding those cysts? I'm really an upset mom right now.
He's a college golfer and "threw out" his back during a practice round mud December-- upper mud back-- has rested and gone daily for treatment and much improved ---but the spinal image has revealed several bulging discs which is bad enough. We are glad for no rupture. However I feel we are getting good guidance for all of this in planning and support for him. His trainers and coach at school will continue the same.
But I need to get some idea of how to handle this other with the kidney cysts.
Please advise.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

Renal cysts are largely benign in nature and without symptoms if found incidentally in a scan for something else like in your son's case are mostly of a non serious nature. However, much depends on how many they are, where they are located and what their size is. Most small cysts usually just require annual scans to see if they are increasing in size. Polycystic kidney disease, which is a concern which usually presents with frank symptoms like pain, high blood pressure, excessive urination and blood in the urine. Since, there are no symptoms this is most likely benign cysts that will cause no harm and will require just annual scans for observation.

Having said that, I would suggest that your son sees a nephrologist for a definitive opinion on these.

Hope this helps.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Best.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have further questions.