Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I swallowed some large vitamin pills with a small amount of

Customer Question

I swallowed some large vitamin pills with a small amount of water the other day and it felt like they were stuck - I drank water to try wash it down. I now have some pain behind my breast plate after swallowing (a few seconds after). Can I just wait to see if symptoms subside or should I have it checked out immediately? Is it some type of bruising to the esophagus?
It's hard to get an appointment to see a gastroenterologist soon. Also will an x-ray show anything or does it have to be done with barium or a scope?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

You have likely got inflammatino of the esophagus lining.

Pill induced esophagitis is common and may take some tiem to subside.

Xrays wont show anything.

Endoscopy will show as red irritation on the lining.

The treatment is with a liquid antacid like Gaviscon to prevent acid injury and a PPI like omeprazole 20 mg twice daily for 3-4 weeks.

Another possibility can be heart related --which should be checked out if pain keeps on worsening.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/