Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Why would my left thumb "fall asleep" and turn white/purple

Customer Question
for no apparent reason? I'm...
Why would my left thumb "fall asleep" and turn white/purple for no apparent reason? I'm 73 years old and take atorvastatin, metoprolol, and one 325 mil. Aspirin daily. Thanx
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
12/17/2015
Doctor: khagihara, Doctor replied 2 years ago
khagihara
khagihara, Doctor

How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Numbness, tingling, pain? When did it start? Is it consistent? Is it getting worse? Does anything make it better or worse? What tests did you have for it? Any medical problems? Any surgeries? Any other medications? Any family medical history?

Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,

This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

These symptoms are likely due to the blood flow problem.

You may have blockages in the blood vessels, or there is blood clot in your vein.

Please see your doctor soon and ask for doppler ultrasound of the arm blood vessels.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Hi there,

Well from what you are describing here there can be a couple of conditions which can cause these symptoms.

Peripheral arterial disease - which is a disease in which there is occlusion of the arteries. this can occur due to depositiopn of cholesterol in the arteries. this can cause teh color change as well as pain alongwith swelling. This can be diagnosed with a simple doppler USG

Blood clot - This is a condition in which a blood clot would block blood flow and this is an emergency and needs immediate removal of the clot by surgery or by blood thinners.

raynauds phenomenon - this is a condition in which there is transient constriction of the blood vessles which leads to problems like the ones you have. usually this is set off by cold and other triggers.

Now i would suggest that you contact an urgent care center or ER immediately and get this evaluated.

I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR Dr. Muneeb Ali".

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Hi there,

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

This is the link to my profile:

Hi there,

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor