Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I am having a cystecomy in 4 days. i originally opted bag. i

Customer Question

i am having a cystecomy in 4 days. i originally opted for a bag. i am now wondering about a sigmoid bladder. any thoughts?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

what is the condition leading to your surgery?

Would you say you are physically active most days?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a surgery to remove tumors from my bladder. the lab report stated a very aggressive cancer infiltrating into the muscle of the bladder. I have a scheeduled surgery for 12/22 to remove the bladder. Yes i am active. i play golf 3 to 4 times/month and still employed as a sales engineer. medications are for moderate high blood pressure but is under control & primidone for familar tremors + cholestrol meds. ch is 165 with meds
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you there?

Thank you for that additional information.

With the sigmoid bladder there is a higher risk of kidney infection and you will have diarrhea.

Yes....I'm not the worlds fastest typest and I am at work and my nurse keeps sticking her head into my office ;)

I will send this and continue....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks

the bag has less risks but can be a cosmetic issue. You should be OK playing golf with it in place.

So. Which way to go?

This is something that is best discussed with your surgeon who knows your situation best....but, if you have the sigmoid bladder made you can always go to the bag later if needed.

But the urine coming out of your rectum after the catheter is removed and things healed will also impact your daily life just like the bag on your leg.

If your medical condition allows either system to be used after your cancer is removed then, really, it come down to a personal decision.

Personally, knowing what I know, would probably with the sigmoid bladder reconstruction all things being equal but have a low threshold for seeing my MD right away if I though I might be getting a kidney infection down the road.

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Best of luck with your upcoming surgery.

Have a Happy Holidays