Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I am 27 years old and I just noticed that my ankles are a

Customer Question
little swollen. I have been...
I am 27 years old and I just noticed that my ankles are a little swollen. I have been doing computer work 2 days straight and have been sitting down the majority of the time. The last time I noticed my feet were swollen was a month ago after getting back to Colorado from Holland, but it got better after a couple days. Should I be concerned about this? I have no family history of heart kidney or liver disease. thankyou
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
12/14/2015
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

sitting down for a long time can cause your ankles to swell

eating more salt or junk food or take out food which has more salt can cause fluid retention and more swelling of your ankles as well.

a blood clot in both of your ankles would be very unlikely

when you work for long periods of time at a computer, take breaks to stand up and stretch your legs.

minimize your salt intake

most doctors online here would tell you to go to the ER or see a doctor for evaluation and blood testing to check your organs and heart.

do you have a doctor you can see who can check on your blood tests and circulation to see why your ankles might be swelling?

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

I don't have a doctor to go check right now, what you recommend I do then?

I recommend that you cut down on your salt intake

elevate your ankles above your heart in a recliner or up on 2-3 pillows on a couch

this will help the fluid drain out of your legs.

eat healthier foods, more fruits and vegetables

take more breaks when working on the computer

better yet, walk on a tread mill for 30-40 minutes daily when working on a computer long term

exercise can help squeeze your muscles in your legs and this can help push out excessive fluid out of your legs.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Well I have been on a high protein diet for about 6 months trying to get muscular, and I havent eaten that many veggies. Maybe thats it, so this shouldnt be something I should rush to the ER with? I feel fine otherwise

that is good you feel fine.

chances of the ER finding blood clots in both legs are super super super small

do you eat a lot of salt on your protein?

have you tried elevating your legs to help decrease the swelling?

I would do those first.

Well i eat around 400 grams of protein, since im around 200lbs. And each scoop of protein has 60mg of sodium. I take about 12 scoops a day on average. That in addition to not too salt heavy food. Is that still alot of sodium? I have elevated my legs, and noticed a slight decrease in swelling

that is a lot of protein

you do need to see a doctor

you could be causing damage to your kidneys with all of that protein.

kidney damage can cause swelling in your ankles.

you should see a doctor and get blood tests to check your kidney function

A doctor as in right now? Or can I go see agp tomorrow?

you can see a doctor tomorrow.

you should not be eating such a high protein diet.

your protein should be between 100-200mg a day.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

OK thanks, ***** ***** going to see a doc tomorrow

you are welcome

don't forget to leave positive feedback below

do you see the ratings area?

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

do you have any other questions?

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician