How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Basu Your Own Question
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 29167
Experience:  MD
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Basu is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend's brother is diabetic and depressive. He has

Customer Question

My boyfriend's brother is diabetic and depressive. He has stopped taking his meds, has lost a lot of weight because he is not taking his diabetic medication and will not leave the house or see a doctor. Is there any way to involuntarily commit him?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

This tantamounts to lack of self care and insight regarding the gravity of his illness.

These grounds can be used to involuntarily commit him.

Please discuss with his doctor or call 911 for further assistance.

Usually the involuntary comitment needs to be initiated by his doctor or in the ER after initial evaluation.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile: