DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

My daughter was hit in the throat with a softball on

Customer Question

My daughter was hit in the throat with a softball on Saturday afternoon. She complains of intermediate periods of feeling swollen "on the inside". No change in voice, no fever, no difficulties swallowing, no cough. Just sometimes feels swollen and "hard to breathe" but hasn't kept her from participating in sports. Ibuprofen 200mgx2 usually helps. Do you recommend seeing a doctor or continuing the ibuprofen? How long can she expect swelling?
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Take her to the doctor asap and without fail.

You have to worry about damage to cartiledge.

No way to say how long this will take to heal without and exam.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.