Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I'm not typically a fan of vaccines but recently had a baby

Customer Question

Hello, I'm not typically a fan of vaccines but recently had a baby and I am preparing to get a flu shot this week and had a couple questions. When my wife was pregnant she was given a flu shot without preservative or so I thought. I called the near by
urgent care to ask if this was available to me and they said all flu shots have preservatives, I believe the concern is mercury, thimerosal or something similar... I know they make single dose and multi dose options, and have been told that the single dose
is preferable for this reason. Are all single dose flu shots the same or should I request something in particular? Any reason I should go to the doctor over the pharmacy or walk in urgent care for this? Thanks,
Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Thimerosal has been the subject of several studies and has a long record of safe and effective use preventing bacterial and fungal contamination of vaccines, with no ill effects established other than minor local reactions at the site of injection. You don't need to worry about it. But there are some flu shots free of Thimerosal. http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/SafetyAvailability/VaccineSafety/UCM096228#t3