Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I was up a pull down unstable ladder to my attic in a ranch

Customer Question

I was up a pull down unstable ladder to my attic in a ranch house ,desending I lost my balance and fell on my ribs on a pile of bricks and rubble ...maybe 6-7 feet.Hiting ground wind was somewhat knocked out of me but felt an icy feeling realizing I was hurt.after five minutes I slowley got to my feet thinking I had fractured ribs on my rt side exactly on my side level with solar plexus.I lost my appitite totally for a week no bruising I could see and no nausea after eating(my good friend from college told me to haul ass to hospital if I puked after eating.after a week it wasn't agonizing but could only sleep on left side for 3-4 hr increments with body propped on 45 degree angle with pillows.also if I make certain movements sitting I feel as if something is moving or impinging(slippery and painless but weird.My dvm friend said it is possible I feel the pleura being pushed in by depressed ribs and I am feeling lobes of lung but that was just her guess.every week ( its been better although mornings it hurts in the indentation(Like 1/5 pf a superball) am I looking at 3-4 more weeks then the callus will be replaced by solid bone?and im not going to keel over....no health insurance.used Naprosyn first week now try to sit upright but walk for exersize and eat well knock off all beer take calcium/mag/zinc pills thanx Steve
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no matter how I construct password ***** will not accept it I paid the 5 but if I get lost to the ether and lose contact with the good doctors I will have great difficulty paying another 39 for nothing
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

I am sorry that you have sustained such an injury.

If a rib fracture occurred, the timeline for healing would vary according to whether the edges of the fracture are in good approximation, which is also referred to as whether there is displacement. If the edges are close to each other, then you are correct that the average time for healing would be 1-2 weeks, so that there would be new bone formed across the fracture site in another 3-4 weeks.

The difficult situation would be if there is significant displacement. The greater the amount of displacement, the longer it will take for spontaneous healing to occur. In rare situations, the amount of displacement is such that there needs to be surgical intervention to correct the displacement.

As long as the pain is steadily improving, then it is OK to continue conservative management at home, but if the symptoms are not improving or if any shortness of breath develops, then it would be more important to be seen.

Is there any other information that would be helpful?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do the intracostals act as a sling or better,hold ribs in proximity......kind of like spare ribs being held together

Generally speaking, yes, which is why most rib fractures do not need any interventions to correct significant displacement. It is only in rare cases in which there is significant displacement despite the muscular component of the rib cage, from both the intercostal muscles and the larger muscles that arise on the outside of the rib cage.

Do you have any further questions?

Please let me know if I can provide any additional assistance.