Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

My psychiatrist is out of town until after the holidays and

Customer Question

My psychiatrist is out of town until after the holidays and at our last visit she forgot to give my usual prescription for alprazolam which I need for serious anxiety attacks that bedevil me and also to help me with problems related to ADHD, Bipolar Disorder and depression, all of which she has diagnosed me with.
My normal prescription is a 90 day supply of up to 4 2 mg tablets daily.
There are days when I don't need it and days when 4 aren't enough but I never take more than that.
I only have enough tablets for 8 days assuming I take 4 each day. With Christmas and New Year approaching and all of the things I need to do I am very concerned that I could have a very serious episode if I don't find a way to get another prescription soon.
My Psychiatrist will not return until January 15.
I called her office in November after our last appt. to tell her this but she was already gone and I did not hear back from her. I called again a week later but her assistant told me she was already gone away and would probably be out of reach while away.
I am getting very scared and even panicked about this.
I have been taking alprazolam for years and it works very well for me. Without it things
can be so bad that at times I am not able to function normally or at all.
Is there anything you can recommend I do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

You should see your primary care doctor. S/he will be able to prescribe it.