DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I was hospitalized in Oct. 2013 with c diff. I was in the

Customer Question

I was hospitalized in Oct. 2013 with c diff. I was in the ICU isolation unit for 12 days. On the 11th day the doctor came in( I had five different doctors from disease specialist to surgeons) and said if I wasn't expired this morning when he came in that they were going to take my colon but apparently that night I made a turn around. The nurses kept telling me everyday that my vitals were dropping. This was the same time I'm watching the Obama Care system start and crash and of course I didn't have insurance at the time. As soon as they got me stabilized on the 11th night the kicked me out the next day. I almost had a heart attack when I went to pick up the prescription and they told me the price. I don't recall what it was other than a gen***** *****quid form for somewhere around $400.00 other than $3000.000 or something like that. I have never seemed to be the same after, I don't feel the normal bowl movement to go but instead I feel pain. My bowl movements are always thin not very much and floats. I usually have to go three to four times before I leave for work in the morning and then between two and more times during the day. I usually have diharria a few times a month. My question is would it take longer for any toxins in my system to clear up than it would a normal person.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

C difficile is an opportunistic infection.

Can invade your colon and intestine whenever the gut immunity is low.

Also use of antibiotics can eliminate normal intestinal flora increasing risk of reinfections.

If C diff was not fully treated, you can become chronic carrier.

This should be checked by stool tests for C diff toxins with 3 successive samples.

Negative tests are very reassuring.

You should consider following low fermentable sugar diet ( FODMAP diet) to reduce your symptoms.
Please go to this link for detailed information:
http://stanfordhealthcare.org/content/dam/SHC/for-patients-component/programs-services/clinical-nutrition-services/docs/pdf-lowfodmapdiet.pdf

Please also include prebiotics like Inulin daily to keep your colon acidic which prevent gas producing bacteria.
Also take a probiotic ( lactobacilli, bifidobacterium) daily to restore intestinal microbial balance.
Culturelle 30 Counts twice daily should be fine.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is a different expert and I have a different answer for you.

To answer the question you asked, no, there is no clear reason reason in your history so far that your body would take longer to clear out toxins.

However, this is on a range: some people faster, some slower. If in a very debilitated state, or malnourished, it will be longer. If you have underlying bowel disease, this would be another reason potentially.

Reasons for slower clearing are many, including liver dysfunction, lack of appropriate enzymes, and so on...and this can now be measured in many cases.

Detoxing per se is a newer area of medicine.

I am board certified in this, integrative medicine, as well as being a board certified internal medicine doctor as certified by the American Board of Medical Examiners.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please click a positive on Dr. Thomas's answer page.

Find me anytime in medical by request. I am here daily.

As to persistent c diff.

If flagy fails, vancomycin should be used.

There are many people who carry the organism without problems. This probably depends on bowel flora make up.

Some people fail all treatment and need a fecal transplant.

Functional medicine [also my training] specializes in bowel health.

Find me in medical by request if you would like to ask a question on this.

I would also like to emphasize one further point. You are still having pain with bowel movements.

This needs to be reported to your doctor immediately...you should not wait weeks for retesting without telling your doctor your current symptoms.

A referral to a gastroenterlogist as well for your outpatient care is reasonable and desirable at this point.

If you appreciate my expertise, please don't forget a positive rating for Dr. Thomas [how we are paid].

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

I was the original expert for your question.

Negative tests are very reassuring.

Antibiotic course is not recommended without further testing to avoid harmful effects.

Also studies have shown efficacy of prebiotic and probiotics in preventing c difficile infections.

You should discuss with your doctor soon.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
This is the link to my profile:

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Make sure you have the painful area examined this week.

If it gets worse, go to the ER.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.