DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I had rectal bleeding 5 days a month ago. It was bright red

Customer Question

I had rectal bleeding for about 5 days a month ago. It was bright red and in the TP on a bit in the stool. Quantity of blood wasn't that much but it was apart. Stool was a bit painful to pass for 5 days and looked yellow and flaky. Everything is fine now. I had constipation prior to the bleeding. Any thought on what I had and any next steps? I am a 41 year old male.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

constipation and hard stools and straining often cause internal rectal hemorrhoids to bleed

severe hemorrhoid bleeding can bleed for 5 days.

you need to eat more fruits and vegetables and fiber and prunes and avoid constipation like that.

you should see your doctor about your internal hemorrhoids

everyone has hemorrhoid veins in their rectum and with severe constipation, the hard stools can cause them to bleed.

best thing to do is to avoid constipation like that

let me know if you have questions.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

In fact one can not simply assume hemorrhoids.

If you have colon cancer in the immediate family, then at age 40 you most likely need a colonoscopy.

A short scope should be done regardless with this history.

Have your doctor refer you to a GI doctor for proper evaluation.

I am a double board certified clinical doctor.

Find me in medical as needed.

please click a positive on my answer page if you appreciate my expertise, then I get paid.

Thanks

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

if you had colon cancer, colon cancer would continue to bleed and would not get better.

colon cancer bleeding doesn't get better when constipation leaves.

if you have family members who have had colon cancer above age 60, then you would not need a colonoscopy until age 50

I am a cancer doctor.

hemorrhoids are a much more likely cause of your bleeding from severe constipation.

most GI doctors would not do a colonoscopy based on bleeding just with constipation.

let me know if you have other questions.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Colon cancer can bleed intermittently.

Diverticulosis can account for this, and you need a colonoscopy to fully diagnose it.

We do not diagnose or treat on this site, for obvious reasons, and mainly to keep you out of trouble.

Also, if your family history has cancer, it is a medical standard of care fact that you would get a colonoscopy now.

We do not know your history. I [Dr. Thomas] will be glad to take any more questions.

I am a double board certified clinical doctor. Internal medicine doctors have the beginning to end responsibility in medicine for patients such as yourself. Everyone else in this particularly situation in medicine would be consulting on your case. In this case GI.

No full assessment, diagnoses or safe conclusions can be made without a complete history and examination. More than likely, you will indeed get a short scope to confirm hemorrhoids. In fact.

Good luck.

Let me know how it goes.

Please click a positive rating. Dr. Thomas: top of the page.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

See this write up of colonoscopy indications:

http://www.gastrohep.com/ebooks/ebook.asp?book=1405120800&id=2

See these indications for proctoscopy, the shortest scope, which does have an indication in your case [unless a longer scope is indicated].

http://www.worldcat.org/title/diagnostic-proctoscopy-indications-technic-and-illustrative-findings/oclc/31651222

See these indications for flex sig: which is indicated based on your information so far.

http://www.fpnotebook.com/gi/Procedure/FlxblSgmdscpy.htm

Simply click a positive at the top of my answer page.

Find me anytime by request. I am here 9am to 9pm EST. I will always give you safe, accurate, concise and comprehensive answers. Save time, use "for Dr. Thomas only" in the question title, and a long request lock.

If you would like to go over integrative bowel stabilizing maneuvers now [I am also board certified in integrative medicine] find me in medical by request. The ass services offer here is blocked.