Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I've been waking roughly twice a week feeling dizzy in the

Customer Question

I've been waking roughly twice a week feeling dizzy in the morning. I feel tired and think that the dizziness will go away after waking up for a bit but it doesn't. I feel a bit light headed like I'm drunk but I don't drink alcohol and I'm not on any medication. My general fitness is good as I'm in the armed forces. I've been sleeping fairly well in the last few days but it can vary as I have a toddler so sleep patterns are never regular. I was anaemia when I was pregnant but this doesn't feel the same, with that I just felt tired but I feel dizzy instead and it doesn't subside until much later in the day.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

How many glasses of fluids do you take everyday?

Do you have any other medical problems?

Are you on any medications for anything?

Have you been seen for this particular problem as yet?

Any tests done recently or in the past.

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not on any medication and as I said, I'm physically and medically fit with no issues. I drink a lot of water everyday, around 2 litres. I've not seen anyone about my problem as yet so no tests have been performed.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Dizziness that you experience may be due to a low blood pressure.

Low blood pressure, again could have a number of causes.

Like you mention, you take lots of water but you may not be taking enough electrolyte rich solutions like gatorade or pedialyte that may be the cause of your dizziness.

Another cause of dizziness could be what is called as benign positional vertigo.

This is an extremely common problem and usually will go away in a few weeks time at the most.

Meanwhile to help with the dizziness I would recommend taking something like stemetil which contains prochlorperazine.

This medication acts on the inner ear thereby reducing the dizziness.

Dizziness associated with tiredness could be due to another pretty uncommon condition called as Addison's disease and this is due to low cortisol levels in the body.

So if your symptoms persist I would recommend having your cortisol levels tested by doing a test called as synthetic ACTH stimulation test or also called as synacthen test.

I would also like that you should have your thyroid tested as a low level of thyroid hormone in the body can also lead to fatigue and dizziness among other symptoms.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end (stars) as that is the only way I am credited on here.

I am sorry for the delayed response as I was dealing with a few patients in my clinic here.

Kindest regards

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

I would appreciate it if you rate me when you are done asking.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stemetil? I thought that was used to treat schizophrenia?? Also, seems like a lot of tests to go through and I'm doubtful whether my medical officer will do it. Bit concerned about your recommendation to take stemetil though.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Stemetil contains prochloroperazine that is usually used to treat dizziness.

A similarly named drug called chlorpromazine is used to treat schizophrenia.

Let me know if you have more questions.