Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I have C.Diff. I took antibiotics and the C.Diff was

Customer Question

I have C.Diff. I took antibiotics and the C.Diff was "cured". Shortly after, about a week, it reoccurred and I went to the ER. I was fine for approximately 2 weeks when I had a mild attack which lasted only 2 days. After this mild attack, I've had a few other mild attacks with 2 weeks or so in between these attacks.
MY QUESTION:
Am I contagious in between the attacks?
Thank you,
Diane
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms.

Now the simple answer to these question would be dependant on whether those additional attacks were of C.Diff or not. Diarrhea can also be caused by other organisms other than C.Diff as well. Now if the additional attacks were of C.Diff and you are getting frequent attacks, then it is likely that you are infectious in between the attacks because C.Diff wouldn't have been cleared from your body. In order to confirm whether C.Diff bacteria are still present in your feces, you would have to get a stool culture done for the C.Diff bacteria as well as several other tests which can inlcude the stool for the C.Diff toxins and even a ELISA test. So YES you will be infectious in between the attacks if you harbour the bacteria inside you. Many people can be carriers without even getting the symptoms, so its possible to spread C.Diff without having active symptoms.

I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR Dr. Muneeb Ali".

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

The answer is yes likely you are contagious.

C diff did not clear completely causing recurrent infections.

This can remain dormant in between the attacks but you can still shed the bacteria in the stool.

So without proper hand washing or sharing towels, utensils, food, can pose a risk for transmission to people with weak immune system.

Once you are symptom free for more than two weeks and documented by 2 negative stool tests, you are considered safe.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

You should consider oral vancomycin tablets twice daily for 2 weeks for complete clearance.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

This is the link to my profile:

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Do you have any other questions? If not please leave a positive rating as until you do i am not compensated for my time.

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Oral fidomamycin is another good option in case of resistant c diff infection.

Please cosult with a gastroenterologist.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

This is the link to my profile:

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms.

Secondly there isnt a drug known as "fidomamycin", rather it is a drug known as fidaxomicin which is reserved for very resistant cases of c.diff. Usually if metronidazole doesnt clear up your infection, vancomycin is more than enough for most cases.

Thank you for using Just Answer.