Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I've had this reoccuring sharp pain in my sternum for the

Customer Question
last 16 hours. Breathing doesn't...
I've had this reoccuring sharp pain in my sternum for the last 16 hours. Breathing doesn't seem to be affected but the pain gets worse when I bend over. There seems to be a bit of swelling also.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
11/27/2015
Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 1 year ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,

This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Pain and swelling can be due to the inflammation of the sternum and the surrounding tissues.

Viral infection can cause this commonly known as costochondritis.

Since breathing is not affected, you may try anti inflammatory medication like Ibuprofen 3 tabs 3 times daily with food.

You should take ibuprofen with acid suppressant Omeprazole to avoid any stomach irritation.

Both are over the counter.

If pain still worsens in next 24 hours, then you should go to the ER for a clinical evaluation.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Hi There,

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms.

There are number of conditions which can cause this sort of pain and ill list some of them below for you,

Heart Disease - heart disease is a less likely cause in the current scenario but i wouldnt discount it at all. Simply because you are of the female gender and heart disease can present in an atypical manner in females. this has to be ruled out under all circumstances in patients with central chest pain such as yourself. This can be easily ruled out with the help of a EKG and if needed a stress test as well.

GERD - Another possibility is that of acid reflux which too can cause the sort of pain which you are experiencing. This cna cause a sharp pain as well as heartburn, burning in the chest as well as a metallic taste in the mouth. This cna be diagnosed on a clinical examination and treated with simple lifestyle adjustments. The usual treatment is with the help of simple OTC drugs like prilosec.

Oesophageal Spasms - Sometimes the sharp pain can be due to a spasm of the oesophagus itself. this can be intermittent in nature and resolve after severe, sharp pain after a few minutes. The usual treatment is with the help of a simple drug like calcium channel blockers or even nitrates.

Now i would suggest that you do get an EKG done even though the chances are low that this is heart disease but it is always better to be safe than sorry. Secondly you can try using prilosec which might be helpful in this case.

I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR Dr. Muneeb Ali".

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I hope you did not charge me as I was trying to ask a follow up question to Dr Bash who had already responded. He suggested I take iboprofen and so I wanted to know how many mg. He only said take 3, 3 times a day
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Basu

you can certainly take ibuprofen whose dose is 800 mg three times a day which is a very large dose. Usually you should start at a lower dose of 400 mg 3 times a day. But i wanted to let you know of the other possibilities as well which shouldnt be discounted. You havent been charged as of yet. One of more thing if you have GERD, then ibuprofen can worsen the symptoms, even though taking prilosec along with the symptoms can mitigate those.

Hi there,

You should take 600 mg ibuprofen ( 3 tabs of 200 mg each available over the counter) 3 times daily with food.

That should help within 2 days.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

This is the link to my profile:

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
should I take Ibuprofen, omiprazole and prilosec or is that the same?

Omeprazole and prilosec same thing.

So you can take omeprazole ( prilosec) 20 mg daily and ibuprofen as well.

That should help usually.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

This is the link to my profile:

Omeprazole and prilosec are one and the same thing. If you are using ibuprofen at the same time, then it would be better to use a higher dose of omeprazole that is 40 mg a day.

Omeprazole and prilosec same thing.

That should help usually.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

This is the link to my profile:

Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist