Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I was bitten by a rabid cat about five yrs ago the bite was

Customer Question
on the left foot I...
I was bitten by a rabid cat about five yrs ago the bite was on the left foot I received a quite a few shots on the foot on both upper legs both hips . the rabies serum looked like milk the doctors said I was vacinated for the rest of my life. is this true.thanks Ray what if i get bit by another rabid animal ? will i need more shots? thank you Ray.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
11/26/2015
Doctor: Dr. Ravoof, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

You are not vaccinated for life and will need more shots if again bitten by a rabid animal. Even those who take pre-exposure prophylaxis need booster doses.

Take care.

Dear customer,

Please rate the answer with a five star positive rating.

Thanks.

Doctor: Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician

I would like to add my opinion here.

According to the CDC, a person who has been previously vaccinated for rabies and is bitten again still will require two further doses of rabies vaccine i.e. one right away and another one on the third day.

A person who has never been vaccinated will obviously require rabies immune globulin along with 4 doses of the rabies vaccine as well i.e. one of the same day the next ones on the 3rd, 7th and 14th days.

Here is a website reference for you to read yourself:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/vis/vis-statements/rabies.html

Let me know if you have more questions

I would appreciate it if you rate me as that is the only way we are credited on here for helping you out.

Kind regards

Thanks for the agree,

Yes what we are saying is that you would again require the vaccine.

Take care.

Thanks.

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor