Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My blood cell is 3.5 it was 3,9 Saturday and 5.2 Friday

Customer Question
My white blood cell is...
My white blood cell is 3.5 it was 3,9 Saturday and 5.2 Friday
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
11/25/2015
Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 1 year ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Your white blood cell count is still good in number.

But there is a downward trend.

This can be caused by a viral infection recently.

Bacterial infection also sometimes can cause drop in white blood cell count.

Since other ,labs are normal including red blood cell count, and platelets, any serious cause is very unlikely.

However, if you do get frequent infections, then your blood count should be repeated in 2 weeks and a consultation with hematologist recommended.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

I have a differing opinion.

Your white blood cell count is NOT good in number as anything below 4.0 is considered as Leukopenia which is a decreased WBC count. While it can be due to a viral infection but i am more worried about the decreasing trend in the WBC count which is being shown in repeated CBC tests. This indicates that the number is ***** dropping and if it goes below 2.0, you are at an increased risk of acquiring many infections. So it would be wise to contact a hematologist NOW instead of 2 weeks later as you count could be even lower at that time. It is possible that this is just due to a viral infection as i said earlier, but it is also possible that you have an infection which is affecting all the cell lines. This would be true if your Hemoglobin and platelet count was also showing a decreasing trend in the repeated CBCs, even if they are in the normal range, that you have had done.

I would suggest a repeat CBC now and a hematologist consultation as well, before this decreases any further.

I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR Dr. Muneeb Ali".

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor