Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

IF I HAVE A CANDIDA OVER GROWTH WOULD LITTLE MUCUS LIKE BE

Customer Question

IF I HAVE A CANDIDA OVER GROWTH WOULD LITTLE MUCUS LIKE BE IN MY BOWELS
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

mucus can be in the bowels and around your stools for many many reasons.

it can be from constipation, bowel irritation from certain foods, gluten sensitivity, lactose or dairy sensitivity (which is different from allergy)

it can be very normal to have some yeast and candida in your bowels as good bacteria to help you break down foods to release nutrients for your body to absorb.

if you had a little mucus years ago, this would not be a sign of a current candida bowel overgrowth.

are you having problems with your bowels currently?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I see that you state you do not currently have symptoms, and you are wondering if candida overgrowth would give symptoms.

Yes it would.

In fact, an actual yeast infection in the bowels, esophagus, etc, would tend to give severe symptoms.

If you have no symptoms, there is not a concern.

You do need a colonoscopy, however, if you have not had them.

They are due for screening at 50,60 and 70.

If you have any new bowel symptoms at all, of any sort, then you need a colonoscopy as soon as you can.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

after age 75, if are you not having bowel symptoms, most likely you don't need to have a colonoscopy.

http://www.choosingwisely.org/patient-resources/colonoscopy/

"Routine checks usually aren’t needed after age 75."

if you had a colonoscopy 5-10 years ago and it didn't show any problems and no polyps, you most likely don't need a colonoscopy now at your age.

a stool test to check for blood is a good screening test to check for problems in your colon.

you can talk to your doctor about breath hydrogen tests to check for small bowel bacterial overgrowth

but this is a rare condition and would also cause symptoms as well.

you don't have to worry about mucus many years ago

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com