Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have a pain on the side of my throat towards the lower

Customer Question
Hi ken. I have a...
Hi ken. I have a pain on the side of my throat towards the lower part of my throat when I sneeze. What could it be? I didn't feel a lump and when I feel both sides they feel the same. It's been like this for a couple weeks now. I have had bad allergies and I do occasionally smoke on the weekends.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
11/23/2015
Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,

This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Allergies and viral infection both can cause this pain.

The inflammation of the tonsil can cause this commonly.

Now, there is also possibility of bacterial infection given that it is persistent.

Streptococcal throat infection should be checked out which will require antibiotic course.

Otherwise, sympyomatically this can be treated with Cepacol sore throat lozenges.

Allergies should be treated with flonase nasal spray and zyrtec 10 mg daily.

Both are over the counter nowadays.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

another possibility is acid reflux of stomach acid up from the stomach can cause throat irritation and pains on the sides of your throat when you sneeze.

acid reflux can come up at night time after eating large meals or spicy foods or alcohol or tomato sauces and cause throat irritation.

stomach acid blockers like prilosec or nexium and changing your diet to avoid those causes above can help decrease stomach acid reflux.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician