Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Is xanax.5 tid advise able for 75 yr old with polycythemia

Customer Question
vera,asthma high bld pressure...
is xanax.5 tid advise able for 75 yr old with polycythemia vera,asthma high bld pressure
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
11/22/2015
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

I'm sorry to hear about your various medical conditions.

Now xanax 0.5 mg is usually not prescribed in a three time a day dose. In most cases the prescription is for once a day and that too at night. But in certain cases, doctors may prescribe it for certain conditions in which there is a need for the drug such as uncontrollable anxiety or if the patient was previously on a lower dose of xanax which failed to control the symptoms. So it depends for what reason have you been prescribed the xanax. But generally speaking this is a very high dose for someone who is receiving the drug for the first time.

I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR Dr. Muneeb Ali".

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 1 year ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,

This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Xanax is a benzodiazepine used for anxiety control.

Xanax has several side effects like risk of fall, memory loss, problem with breathing given history of asthma.

Hence, other safer medications like clonidine or hydroxyzine can be used at lower dosage.

Xanax should be avoided if possible.

In resistant cases, lorazepam is better option given that it is short acting.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor