How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Bray, MD Your Own Question
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 10341
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Anthony Bray, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had a lot of stomach pain around navel, nausea no

Resolved Question:

I have had a lot of stomach pain around navel, nausea no matter what I eat, I used to have loose stool up until this Friday when my bowel movements started to become hard to come out. All blood test so far are normal today had CT Scan of abdomen/pelvis
which was normal. But my doctor wants me to have more blood work tomorrow for pancreas, liver and chemistry what blood tests do that include. But going back to stomach problem in 2000 I was stabbed in upper abdomen so I had exploratory surgery nothing found
during it but I know I have an incision where the bottom of incision starts a little bit above my navel, then a few years later had gallbladder taken out laproscopic. But my mom told me after it was done the surgeon came out and talked to her and he used term
"floppy" as my gallbladder that because of that they had a very hard time moving my gallbladder around and were very close to considering changing to a bigger incision. Do you think it is a good idea and recommend for me to talk to my doctor to see what his
thought is and if he ever considered that my stomach problems could be due to from adhesions from my previous surgeries. What is your thought and opinion on that if it could be due to adhesions from my previous surgeries and if so how and what is best treatment
for me than to hopefully get rid of abdominal pain and not make me feel nauseated.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.


Yes with your history of the stabbing and surgeries adhesions may very well be the source of the abdominal pain. It is less clear that these scar bands would be causing nausea or if you may have other reason for the nausea...

Pancreas related blood tests would include lipase and amylase ( enzymes from the pancreas) If these were elevated then it would indicate pancreatitis and that would certainly explain both abdominal pain ( typically mid upper and radiating to back)

The liver function tests would typcially include enzymes >>AST, ALT , Alk Phos >> elkevation could indicate inflammation of the liver =hepatitis of some form and this also would be typical to cause nausea and abdominal pain...

Other liver function tests may include Total Bilirubin, albumin and total protein...

Chemistry labs would include BUN and creatinine to look at your kidney function and electrolytes ( sodium, potassium. chloride, bicarbonate)

I would advise that you may consult a gastroenterologist if the problem is not quickly identified and helped.. you may have GASTRITIS as possible and very common cause > You may have an ulcer as a common cause of these symptoms.. If that then you may benefit from medication to reduce the acidity of your stomach secretions (Nexium, Prilosec, Prevacid, Dexilant, Aciphex, Protonix) >>

You may benefit from a bland diet and less GI irritants ( worth a try I think with your history) to avoid alcoholic drinks, coffee, hot/spicy/acidic foods( tomato based products, onions, peppers, citrus fruits) and avoid using NSAIDs such as aspirin, Aleve, Advil..

The best treatment for you depends on the underlying cause and this is in the process of being determined it sounds >>

I hope that this information is helpful for you. Let me know if you have further questions. I will be happy to get back with you. If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank Youa dn Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My doctor contacted me a little while ago a said the blood tests I had today were normal. But when he called me yesterday with the CT results from the CT I had done yesterday. There is one thing interesting he told me today about the CT that he didn't tell me yesterday and that is the CT showed a hernia of fat just above my navel but it doesn't say anything in report about it being strangulation or there was another word he used. I fiound that interesting since all of my abdominal pain has been centered around my belly button area and feeling nauseated. So he said they don't do surgery on these types of hernias is that true. So he is going to refer me to a GI doctor. How is the best way to ease up my pain and nausea if it is due to the hernia and it doesn't say anything about it being strangulated and my doctor says that they don't do surgery on these types of hernias. Then what type of treatment do they do for these hernias then.
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Did he say a HIATAL HERNIA ?? That is where the top of the stomach protrudes above the diaphragm >> this is present in 40 percent of adults. That type hernia does not usually call for surgery >> No to that ..

If a peri-umbilical hernia then it depends on the size and nature of the hernia >> if there is a pocket in which the inner layer of connective tissue of the abdomen may push into this space then a portion of small bowel might >> So it depends on the details

I can't tell if this finding as you report is of a significant nature to explain your abdominal pain.. IT may be an incidental finding and then in that case something else would be the reason for your abdominal pain and nausea ..

I agree with follow up with a gastroenterologist

Keep watch on what you eat or drink vs your onset or worsening of pain >> keep a journal of your diet adn habits vs symptoms of nausea or pain ( this may be telling and of help to the GI specialist)

You MIGHT benefit from an acid reducing medicine depending on your cause ..

You might benefit with nausea to try Benedryl over the counter or Dramamine or Emetrol or Pepto Bismol

You MIGHT benefit from more bland diet and light meals in general..

I hope that this is helpful for you. let me know if you have further questions or concerns. Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He actually only used the term abdominal hernia with fat that is all he said he didn't use any terms like hiatal or anything just abdominal hernia.
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello again--

Ok well if you have an adominal wall hernia then you could consult a general surgeon to review your symptoms / physical exam/ and CT scan ..They are the type specialist to judge that type problem.....