Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

Dear Dr. Vikas, I started Prozac 4 days ago for obsessove

Customer Question

Dear Dr. Vikas,
I started Prozac 4 days ago for obsessove rumination over mistakes made in the past and possible doom scenarios that are very unlikely but I cant stand the idea of not having 100% certainty that the scenario will not occur. It completely controls my life. Is Prozac the appropriate medicine and is it normal that I became much more anxious since I started?
Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

He doesn't seem to be working right now. May I take your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cant seem to see your qualifications. Are you a psychiatrist? If so, no problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
O, I found it, its ok. Im just very worried about the fact that my anxiety is getting worse. I really cannot be reassured by anyone that my doom scenario will not happen and Im obsessively talking about it to everyone I get to talk to. As my mind is telling me the problem is real I cant hardly believe a pill can work because it doesnt solve the "problem" I think is real...
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

The symptom may occur during 1 to 2 months after patients started anti-depressants like Prozac. It is normal. If you develop suicidal thinking, you should see your doctor immediately.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you think it is the appropriate medicine for this type of obsessive doom and gloom thinking?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it is. You should also have cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) such as exposure and response prevention if it is available.