Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I have mucous and having a very difficult time getting it

Customer Question

I have mucous and having a very difficult time getting it out.....how do I resolve this?
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chest mucous
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

What symptoms are you having? What is the color of the mucous? What investigations were done?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Coughing, no fever. Mucous clear to tinges of yellow. Slight wheezing.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Do you have shortness of breath or difficulty in breathing? Is the wheezing occurring for the first time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No shortness of breath. Yes, this is the first time with the wheezing. Just trying to expell this mucous w/out coughing my guts out?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

The wheezing does indicate that you have narrowing of the airways. This is most likely in your case due to acute bronchitis. However an examination and consultation by your doctor is required for confirmation. Also your doctor may prescribe a combination of medications that will open obstructed bronchial airways and thin the obstructive mucus so that it can be coughed up more easily. Also in view of the wheezing your doctor needs to make sure that you are oxygenating adequately.

Your doctor may prescribe central cough suppressants such as codeine and dextromethorphan for symptomatic relief of coughing. Since you have wheezing your doctor may prescribe bronchodilators.

You need to avoid lung irritants such as smoke, and wear a mask when the air is polluted or use a cold-air face mask if the cold air will increase your cough. Please use a humidifier, since the warm and moist air will help relieve the cough and loosen the mucus in your airways. You may also take a steamy shower or sit in the bathroom with the door closed while running a hot shower. Drink warm liquids since they can relax the airway and loosen up sticky mucus in your throat. Also you need to get plenty of rest. You may use tylenol if you have any pain. You can try making your own mixture of honey and lemon which can help ease your cough.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with five stars.

Thanks.