How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 64354
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a male of 76 years and I have been having problems with

Customer Question

I am a male of 76 years and I have been having problems with losing my balance when standing or walking in the past I had problems with my ears filling up with wax but now that is no problem Please help me Aaron (*****@******.***)
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

I am sorry you are having problems with loosing balance with standing and walking.

this can be very serious and put you at risks for falls and injuries.

you need to see your doctor and a neurologist as soon as possible

you need a lot of testing to get to the bottom of your symptoms.

you need a brain MRI scan with contrast and ear examinations to check for fluid and infections in your ears

you might need nerve conduction studies to check if your nerves to your legs are sending signals properly to your brain.

you need blood test to check for B12, iron, folate, magnesium levels, thyroid hormone levels to see if something metabolic is going on affect your brain or nerves.

you might need a spine MRI scan

you might benefit from physical therapy evaluation and treatment to help strenghten your muscles in your legs to help your balance.

you could have had a small silent stroke and damage of blood vessels and damage of a small part of your brain which can affect balance. the MRI scan of the brain can check for this.

but you have to see a doctor for evaluation and testing as soon as possible.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

Thanks for using

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.


I can give you a much more specific and different answer if you will tell me the following

What tests have you had.

Was it an ENT that addressed the ears, and what advanced testing was done.

When was your last EKG.


The basic consderations here are as follows.

Inner ear. Nystagmography is needed at a minimum.

Heart. Rhythm problems can be undetected on an EKG and cause this symptoms. A 24 hour holter is needed.

Autonimic dysfunction of the involuntary nervous system. Tilt table test is needed.

Brain. This is the least likely. Tumor, seizure disorder etc. Thus a neurologist would be last on my list.

I see no need for nerve conduction studies based on your story so far. If you had extensive arthritis in the spine or elsewhere, this might be indicated, but you have stated you are healthy. If not, please list any medical problems.

B12, folate, magnesium deficiencies do not typically present so specifically.

If you are the type of customer that likes to read medical information on your problem: here is comprehensive and reliable information:

Here is a shorter and more nuts and bolts write up from the mayo clinic]

Let me know if you have more information.

I am Dr. Thomas, a double board certified US, clinical doctor certified in adult medicine for over 20 years.

Find me anytime by request in medical

"For Dr. Thomas only". I will give you accurate, safe and comprehensive answers.

By the way, if you are falling, which you did not state, then go to the ER now.

If you are actually falling, then this situation is too dangerous to wait on.

Good luck.

Please click a positive on my answer page at the top if you appreciate this answer. I will then get paid.

Come back as needed.