Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

Can chronic diarrhea cause your illeum to get inflamed? I

Customer Question

Can chronic diarrhea cause your illeum to get inflamed? I know that Crohns will cause that but I was wondering if diarrhea from another issue can cause that also without it being chrohns? Thank you
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

yes, chronic diarrhea can cause your ileum to be inflamed.

but also an inflamed ileum from crohn's disease can cause chronic diarrhea.

you need a colonoscopy to go into your bowels and get a biopsy of your cecum and distal ileum to see if you have signs of crohn's disease.

you need stool testing to see if you have a bowel infection like clostridium difficile infection causing diarrhea.

these are best done by a GI specialist to get to the bottom of what is causing your diarrhea.

you also need test to check for celiac spruce disorder which is a gluten wheat protein sensitivity which can cause chronic diarrhea if you eat pasta, breads with gluten in them.

a colonoscopy can see that your ileum is inflamed.

have you had a colonoscopy and biopsy of your ileum yet?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

do you have any other questions?