Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had recently been on 24 weeks of Harvoni therapy for

Customer Question
Hepatitis C, genotype 1b, that...
I had recently been on 24 weeks of Harvoni therapy for Hepatitis C, genotype 1b, that I contracted in 1970 after receiving 9 units of blood. After taking Harvoni for 4 weeks, my blood tests show that the Hepatitis virus was not detected (lower limit =
15 IU/mL) as well as my liver enzymes being within their normal ranges. I got similar tests results at 8, 12, 16, 20, and 24 weeks of therapy. 12 weeks following therapy the results were similar. My understanding is that this last test result indicates that
I have achieved a SVR. However I just had another test performed at 24 weeks following therapy and it shows that I now have a viral load of 122 IU/mL with normal liver enzymes. My hepatologist will have me repeat the tests in a couple of weeks. Do you have
any thoughts on what might have caused the virus to reappear? I have not engaged in any behavior that would have caused me to have contracted any of the Hepatitis genotypes from another individual.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
11/9/2015
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

Sustained virologic response is defined as no virus detectable 24 weeks after completion of antiviral therapy for chronic hepatitis C

so you had one test which at 24 weeks show no virus detectable.

and another test at 24 weeks which showed 122 IU/mL viral load?

122 is not an undetectable viral load.

it is theorized that the virus can hide in liver cells and some virus can come out after treatment what were not completely killed with antiviral therapy.

it is nothing that you did or didn't do.

it is a roll of the die if all of the virus gets killed with antiviral therapy or if some virus survive.

let me know if you have questions.

Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,

This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

I understand your confusion.

Depending genotype of the virus, this may not be completely eradicated even after 24 weeks of therapy.

This does not mean treatment failure.

But this does mean you need longer duration treatment till it becomes undetectable.

Harvoni is a good medication and so fat it has very high success rate.

So far it is encouraging response in your case --and not totally unexpected.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

This is Dr. David

Patients with genotype 4 and 5 hepatitis C virus benefit from treatment with Harvoni, according to findings presented at the 2015 International Liver Congress

do you know what genotype your hepatitis C virus is?

Hi there,

I understand your confusion.

This does not mean treatment failure.

Harvoni is a good medication and so far it has very high success rate.

Genotype 1a virus can show polymorphism and can sometimes require addition of ribavirin with harvony for full clearance.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

This is the link to my profile:

This is Dr. David

do you have any other questions?

Hi there,

I understand your confusion.

This does not mean treatment failure.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

This is the link to my profile: