Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I have a tight pain on the right side of my chest, under my

Customer Question

I have a tight pain on the right side of my chest , under my breast bone. It occurred last night and is still going strong today. I can't seem to get sleep because I can't get comfortable. I googled acid reflux , gerd, etc. I don't have a burning in my chest, but it does hurt more when I bend over. I also googled gallstones . Could this be the cause? It's really painful. Is there anything I can do to relieve the pain immediately? I took famotidine this morning
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Well it's good that you googled the diseases which you mentioned and i would agree with a couple of your self diagnoses. The first one is that you could have gallstones which could cause this sort of pain. the pain usually occurs underneath the ribs on the right side and can radiate to the back specifically the tip of the shoulder blade. This can also cause belching, nausea and vomiting and sometimes bloating. This is easily diagnosed on an abdomina;l ultrasound. Sometimes these gallstones can cause inflammation of the gallbladder which can lead to symptoms like fever as well in which case you would need antibiotics along with Iv fluids for treatment. This is termed as acute cholecystitis.

While its true acid reflux would cause heartburn but its not always necessary for it to be so. However it would usually cause pain either in center of the chest or on the left side of the chest and abdomen. One more possibility is that of acute pancreatitis which is an inflammation of the pancreas. this can occur due to the gallstones or many other causes. This can cause severe pain underneath the center of the ribcage or on the right side which can radiate to the back. The pain is usually severe and can be accompanied by shortness of breath, nausea, vomiting and even tenderness of the abdomen. This is an EMERGENCY and requires urgent management in the ER with CT scan of the abdomen as well as IV antibiotics and fluids.

Now if the pain is severe i would suggest that you proceed to the ER where these things can be ruled out conclusively. Secondly for now, you can try prilosec to counter the pain and tyelenol can be useful as well. tyelenol is the safest drug here as it doesnt damage the lining of the stomach and prilosec can reduce acid poroduction in the stomach which can be useful as well.

I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR Dr. Muneeb Ali".

Thank you for using Just Answer.