How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. SH Your Own Question
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 8781
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. SH is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father is 75 yrs old and is complaining that he cannot

Customer Question

My father is 75 yrs old and is complaining that he cannot have a bowel movement. He said it's so painful he cannot lay down and is tired of standing. What can he do to get relief?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

There are a few options to evacuate the bowel:

1. Rectal suppository

2. Enema given rectally.

3. If the above two do not work then the stool has to be removed manually and for that you would have to visit the ER.

Also, if this constipation is a recent problem, he must be seen by a gastroenterologist as a colonoscopy may be required to rule out anything serious like cancer that may b e causing the constipation.

Also he would need to increase fiber intake by taking in more fruits and veggies along with fiber supplements like metamucil and benefiber along with increasing his fluid intake to at least ten to twelve glasses a day.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options.

Kind regards