Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have been diagnosed with an allergic reaction. The

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with an allergic reaction. The treatment plan is three tablets of 20mgpred prednisone for three days, two tablets for three days, then one tablet for three days, plus zertec. With benadryl at night. Does this sound reasonable and is the prednisone going to play havoc with my adrenal glands. Been itching for nine days uncontrollably and also a rash/hives on a lot of my body
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer

Yes, a combination of a short term use of prednisone in a tapering dose along with antihistamines is a reasonable and common approach to a significant allergic reaction. Use of prednisone for a short course of only 1-2 weeks will almost never adversely affect adrenal function. It certainly is true that chronic treatment with prednisone will usually affect adrenal function, particularly at doses higher than 20 mg per day. However, short courses of prednisone is a tapering schedule over a week or two are very frequently used, including starting at 60 mg per day as was prescribed in your case, and is not associated with any significant risk of adrenal dysfunction. The primary side effects to a short course of prednisone are GI side effects, such as nausea, vomiting, or upper abdominal pain, but even these are not common.

So, there is no reason for you to be concerned about a short course of prednisone.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much. I will be starting them in the morning.Kim

You are most welcome.