Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I was eating a raw small oblong shaped carrot at lunch and

Customer Question
it feels like a small...
I was eating a raw small oblong shaped carrot at lunch and it feels like a small portion is stuck in my throat towards the right side of my throat and it is irritated. I did not choke on it. I have no problems breathing,eating, or drinking. I do not feel like its life threatening. I did drink water and eat an entire subway sandwich about an hour later. I just can't tell if it is still there or if it got flushed down. I can feel it is irritated in that particular spot. It does not hurt to eat.
The carrot was an oblong bite size carrot and so it would have been a small bite of the bite size carrot. Should I continue to drink fluids? When should I see a doctor if it continues to bother me? What would you recommend? Will the carrot eventually get soggy and flush down in its own?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
10/30/2015
Doctor: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Anthony Bray, MD

Hello!

It sounds that a bit of the carrot may be lodged near the tonsils or the recessed cavities there at the back of the pharynx ...I would suggest that you may benefit to try a series of gargles .These may help to dislodge the food and relieve your sense of something being stuck. I agree to give it some time along with that step. I expect that your discomfort may be alleviated with the gargles and further time. If your sensation continues to trouble you then if course you may have it checked. I agree that it does not sound to be of an urgent nature.

I hope that this information is helpful.Let me know if you have further questions or concerns.I Will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor