How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Internist Your Own Question
Internist, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 1066
Experience:  MD,MBBS, Diplomate American Board of Internal Medicine
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Internist is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been taking hydromorphone years now and my doctor

Customer Question

I have been taking hydromorphone for 2 years now and my doctor just retired. That is the only medication that works for me. I had a terrible MVA in 2000 with 28 broken bones, committed femur with 12 surgeries, collasp lung, laceration to kidney and liver, and close head injury, broke my back at L1, plus I have moderately sever lupus. I am in constant pain most of the time untill I was given the hydromorphone 2 years ago and that is the only drug that has help me. It totally stops my pain I was taken 4 a day 1 every 6 hours.
Now that my doctor has retired I have had no luck on finding anyone to it for me. I am getting to feeling hopeless and where my daily life consist of doing nothing but staying in bed I am only 44years old I have tried everything else out there and that is the first pain medication that has help me have a life. Please can you advise me on what to do because Im feeling so depressed and hopeless I don't know what to do.
Thank you for your time in this matter and any help you can offer or give me. Oh yeah it was 4mg tablets every 6 hours or 4 times a day.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

I am online and will be happy to answer your questions.

I am sorry to hear about your problem.

this must have been very difficult for you.

since you have already tried multiple pain killers and only opioids seem to help you ( that is the case in most chronic pain diseases)

I recommend you see a pain management doctor in your area. you can ask your primary doctor to refer you to one.

there are doctors who specialize in pain management and your case should be handled by them. do not over use/ try over the counter pain killers on your own.

there are options like patient controlled analgesia, in which you can self administer dose depending on pain severity and frequency.

please let me know if i can provide clarifications. thanks

Related Medical Questions