Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I have Fibromyalgia and was taking Serax problems. I started

Customer Question

Hello. I have Fibromyalgia and was taking Serax for sleep problems. I started taking it about 5 years ago. They had tried me on atleast 6, over a 5mth period. When given Serax, it was Amazing. I'd take it, then within 20mins. or less, I was asleep. I stopped waking up 4 to 5 times a night. Id wake up, with absolutely no side effects. Felt fully rested, and ready for my day. Never felt groggy or light headed. I loved it. Now I've had to stop it, because it stopped working as well. I would only get, maybe 4hrs sleep. I do not like Hypnotic Sleep Aids. Tried them in the past and had too many side effects, which I do not like. Question is, do you have any suggestions on another sleeping pill that doesn't come with a long list of side effects, and a list of, could possibly cause concerns? Due to the Fibromyalgia, I also take .5mg, Xanax, 3 times a day for Anxiety.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

Serax is oxazepam a short acting benzodiazepine like xanax (alprazolam), or Halcion (triazolam) or Niravam (alprazolam)

Retoril is temazepam and a mid acting benzodiazepine.

you can try Sonata (zaleplon) or Halcion

you really should see a sleep specialist and get a full sleep study and sleep evaluation.

daily exercise can help you sleep better.

better sleep hygiene habits can help.

for fibromyalgia, lyrica can help or cybalta can help your fibromyalgia which can help your pain symptoms.

let me know if you have questions.