Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My husband went to hospital 5 days ago for severe stomach

Customer Question

My husband went to hospital 5 days ago for severe stomach pains they took an xray and said he was backed up they gave him laxatives he finally went a few hours later but it keeps returning every other day he can't go without laxatives and he is eating bland foods until yesterday he ate a salad . Now he is awake with the the sam oains? He has never had trouble releasing his bowels can this be a virus?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Almost every pattern of abdominal pain that has been present for a short period of time can be due to a virus, but this is not a common pattern that is seen with a viral infection. It is much less common for a viral infection to cause symptoms every other day. Certainly, people may alternate good days and bad days for a short time, but it is not as common for the symptoms to resolve for a day and then come back the next day.

On the other hand, in someone with excessive stool in the colon, relief of pressure in the colon with a laxative may ease symptoms, and then as more stool accumulates, the symptoms can return a couple days later. So, the pattern of symptoms that you describe is seen more often in someone with excessive stool.

In someone with recurrent symptoms related to excessive stool, it is fine to continue laxatives as needed for relief of current symptoms, but prevention of recurrence is usually accomplished by increasing fiber intake, either by fiber in the diet or via a fiber supplement. Drinking plenty of water will also help the fiber be effective. It also may help to take a stool softener to prevent recurrence of symptoms.

So, yes, these symptoms can be related to a virus, but it would be more likely that it is not related to a virus. Chronic interventions to help relieve the excessive stool, such as fiber or a stool softener would be appropriate.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Please let me know if any additional information would be helpful.