Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I am wondering if there is a virus or flu going around in

Customer Question
the Elkhorn, Omaha, Ne area...
I am wondering if there is a virus or flu going around in the Elkhorn, Omaha, Ne area . My symptoms starting last Wed eve are as follows; aches ,very cold chills and then get really hot. My temp Fri. was 99.6 and today is 98 .I have had several bowel movements and have vomited Fri. night and this morning. I am drinking a lot of water because I am so thirsty and I know I need to keep hydrated. I have been taking ibuprophine for the chills and does help for awhile. I also have light muscle pain in my lower abdomen. I fell last Monday from a step in my garage and don't know if I did something to cause these symptoms. I am a big woman and went down really hard. Thank you for any info you can give me.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
10/25/2015
Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,

This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

These symptoms can be due to the viral infection.

Fever, chills, frequent bowel movements, vomiting are caused by the intestinal inflammation.

Viruses like influenza, rota, corona, adeno virus are the common ones.

Falling in the garage can cause abdominal muscle sprain.

Ibuprofen can hurt your intestine as it can cause more inflammation.

However you can take tylenol extra strength every 8 hours as needed.

Instead of water you should drink Gatorade as it repletes the electrolytes as well.

You can try over the counter Dramamine tablets for nausea, vomiting.

Loperamide tablets can be tried for preventing loose stools.

You should also consider going to the urgent care for clinical evaluation.

Usually it may take a week or so to notice significant improvement.

High grade fever >102F, blood in stool, or worsening stomach pain should be chekced out soon for any bacterial infection or internal organ injury.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you today.

If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist