Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My husband went replacement surgery November 28 2013 and

Customer Question

Hi, my husband went for hip replacement surgery November 28 2013 and past away Dec. 16, 2913 after pulmonary blood cloth. Could his death be considered accidental? I remember his insurance calling me and asking me this question, but being in shock I was not really thinking.
Thank you very much for you help and answer.
XXXXXXXXXXX
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 1 year ago.

Hi there ...

Thank you for your question ....

Pulmonary clot or Pulmonary embolism when massive always present with Cardiogenic shock having systolic Blood pressure of less than 90 mmHg along with right ventricular dysfunction .

So definitely Hip replacement surgery , prolonged bed rest are strong risk factors for Pulmonary embolism .

And massive Pulmonary embolism always present with shock .

Hope you got my point .

Regards .

Please rate my answer as good service .

Thanks .

Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

This question just appeared on the Canada Law list. Are you asking for medical information or legal information?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your answer. Bat would it be considered accidental death for insurance?
Thank you very much.
Karla
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Why do you need to know if this would be considered accidental? For example is the life insurance higher if the death as a result of an accident? Or are you asking about suing the doctor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not planning to sue the doctor. In my opinion the surgeon had done excellent job. My husband developed a blood cloth almost 3 weeks after the surgery. My husband had life insurance through his employer and after he passed away the insurance phoned me and asked me if I think the death was accidental. My answer was no. This was shortly after my husband's passing and I was still in shock and I guess the way I was thinking at that time accidental death is caused by some kind of accident. Now, thinking back, it was not really a natural death. He didn't die of old age. Nobody really gave me any advice at that time and I didn't receive his insurance contract either?
Thank you again. Karla
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

This is not likely going to be considered an accidental death. However, it would make sense for you to call the insurance company back and explain that you were in a state of shock and profound mourning at the time you first spoke to them and wanted to share the details of the death with them because in fact while you are not in a position to allege negligence the death could in fact be interpreted as being as a result of an accident since it was not expected that your spouse would die like this.