How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Ravoof Your Own Question
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 4847
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Ravoof is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am having always itchiness and wetness in my ears, I have

Customer Question

I am having always itchiness and wetness in my ears, I have seen doctor, and was told there is no wax. May I know what is causing this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Since when do you have these symptoms?

What did your doctor diagnose? What treatment did he/she advice? Do you swim?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi ,Its been quite sometime a year or more. No diagnosis from doc, he gave antibiotics, but it didnt help
I frequently take shower 3 times a day. I seldom swim
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Since your doctor did not diagnose the cause for your symptoms, you may need to consult a specialist (ENT specialist). In most of these cases which are chronic the cause may be a fungal infection of the external ear which causes discomfort, such as itching and wetness. Also prolonged treatment with antibiotics will alter the flora of the ear canal leading to fungal infection. Excessive moisture will impair the canal's natural defenses, and is one of the most common precipitants of infection of the external ear, and avoidance of this precipitants is the cornerstone of prevention. Also drying the ears with a hair dryer and avoiding manipulation of the external auditory canal may help prevent the infection.

Therefore please consult an ENT surgeon as soon as possible. There is always a diagnosis and your doctor should have referred you to a specialist if he/she was not able to diagnose. There are some non infectious causes as well due to skin conditions, and treating them if present will provide you relief from your symptoms.

Take care.