Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

About 3-4 years ago I had an upper EGD done, without

Customer Question
dilation. I have no pictures...
About 3-4 years ago I had an upper EGD done, without dilation. I have no pictures or anything, but the doctor told me I had some slight irritation and rings? He prescribed me Flucticosone spray for my esphg.. that was the end of it
I was fine for a few years but noticed I had to chew better than everyone else. And food ended up getting stuck if I didnt, especially harder foods like steak, so recently I had another EGD done w/ dilation, guess what, doctor says the same thing, some kind of irritation and esophagitus of some sort? I felt like there was really no follow up at all.. I'm gonna call again tomorrow and express how I feel. Its been 2 weeks and thats the only response ive gotten.. My question is since I got the same answer, has my esophagus been irritated for 3 YEARS? what can I do about it besides masking the symptoms with some spray. It just doesnt make sense to treat symptoms rather than the problem, heres a pic of it btw http://postimg.org/image/79viwhctl/
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
10/20/2015
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

you need a biopsy of the esophageal wall to check for eosinophilic esophagitis

you should get a barium swallow study as well.

large-bore endoscopic dilation or bougienage (15 mm/45 Fr or larger) is the mainstay of therapy for both upper and lower esophageal lesions or rings.

stomach acid suppression with a proton pump inhibitor like nexium or omeprazole can help.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3033540/

is a good article.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

I updated the pictures. Can u tell anything from them? Also is eosinophilic esophagitis a dangerous condition

no, you can' tell from the photos

only a biopsy can tell if there is eosinophilic esophagitis.

it is not a dangerous condition.

can you at least tell from the photos if they appear to be that of a normal esophagus

they appear normal, but only a biopsy can tell if there is eosinophilic esophagitis.

esophageal rings can sometimes be associated with eosinophilic esophagitis

you might still need dilations to help your swallowing.

an esophageal manometry can see if your esophagus is moving and squeezing food down properly.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician