DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I have had a chronic cough for two years. Worse at night. I

Customer Question

I have had a chronic cough for two years. Worse at night. I do have post nasal drip but now have developed an expiratory crackling at night. Do not have a history of asthma, and I have never smoked. Lung xray clear except for a small granuloma I have had for years that hasn't changed. I have tried an albuterol MDI which doesn't help much, if any. I take Singulair, Omeprazole and an Allegra at night. Started taking Flonase to see if that might help, but it hasn't.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I would suggest you have PH testing of the esophagus.

This can be a symptom of acid reflux, even if you don't have other symptoms.

If that is negative, a CT scan of the sinuses to see if this is related to your

post nasal drip.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Obviously I have reflux, I am on a med, and I have had an EGD of my Esophagus, which was normal, No Barrett's.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Yes, but you can have reflux despite medication.

That is why PH testing is indicated.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mostly was worried about the cough? should I be concerned?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the crackling noises.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

I would get PH testing.

That is definitive.

Yes, a chronic cough is abnormal.

It should be further investigated.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.