How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 64614
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My blood pressure is 165/104 should I seek emergency care.

Customer Question

my blood pressure is 165/104 should I seek emergency care. My doctor wants it around 140/80. I am 68 and in a lot of pain?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.


IF you have symptoms it is an emergency.

If not, as long as it does not keep going up, you can call your doctor or his answering service.

Over 180/100 is an urgency, and you should to to the ER at that point.

Otherwise, if you are extremely concerned at this point, I would suggest urgent care rather than emergency.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.