Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

It was cellulitis. I spend 4 days in hospital wit IV

Customer Question

it was cellulitis. I spend 4 days in hospital wit IV antobiotic and now I am 2 days at home with antibiotic pills. I still have pain and colour of affected area became very dark purple (almost black) is it good sign or bad ?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 2 years ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

There are two possibilities here. First this could be due to changes in color due to healing of the cutaneous hemorrhage which may have occurred along with the cellulitis. In this case this is a good sign. However the second possibility is that this color change suggests a more serious or systemic infection which is not responding to the oral pills. In this case it is a bad sign. Please get back to your doctor and tell him/her about the color changes. Based on the earlier examination, your doctor will suggest the best treatment based on this symptom of color change. This may be continuation of the oral medications or again taking the IV antibiotic depending on the causative factor for the color change.

Take care.