Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I've been told that my osteomyelitis is terminal. The in…

Customer Question
I've been told that my...
I've been told that my osteomyelitis is terminal. The in infection began as mrsa in L3, L4, and L5-S1 due to a piece of hardware that was contaminated. It first spread to my left hip joint causing multiple fractures in that bone that wouldn't heal. I couldn't find a surgeon who would remove the hardware because they were afraid it would cause my spine to collapse again. Three hip replacement, multiple antibiotics including IV antibiotics and an antibiotic spacer later, the infection is now in my entire pelvis, left hip, entire spine, left leg, left clavicle and arm and cervical spine. My oral antibiotics did nothing to prevent the spread so after consulting my doctor I have quit taking them. I'm also dealing with kidney failure, cdif, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Now, I've been told I can never have a new hip implant because of all of the infection so I have no left hip. I've also been told (by the same dr and a 2nd opinion) that this is terminal. Can this kill me?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
10/15/2015
Doctor: Dr.Amita, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor

Hello

I am Dr.Amita and I would be assisting you.

This is a desperate situation with no easy treatment.

I would suggest that you seek a consultation with an immunologist for seeking ways to increase your immunity as strong immunity is essential for fighting such widespread infection.

You should also consult an infectious disease specialist who can assist in devising a treatment plan for such widespread infection.

You need to visit these specialists in a university teaching hospital who have experience with dealing difficult cases like yours.

This is an initial answer.Reply if you need clarifications.

I have a team of medical professionals including an infectious disease doctor and home care. I appreciate your time. My doctors say we've run out of effective antibiotics. I was on Rifampin, doxycycline, and sometimes vancomyicin, daptomycin, etc but they were ineffective in controlling my infection. Can it spread to my organs like my kidneys?Thank you for your opinion.

Thanks for your reply.

These are the antibiotics used for MRSA.If these are unable to control infection ,infection can spread to any part of the body including kidneys.But this is not inevitable.At times our body is able to wall off these infections.That is why your bodies defense needs to be strengthened.