How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 45924
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Following the recent, unexpected, death of a middle-age

Customer Question

Following the recent, unexpected, death of a middle-age family member, I've been experiencing some issues...I have developed a sort of hypochondria where every little symptom I feel is going to kill me. I have difficulty sleeping and am afraid I too am
going to drop dead at any moment, I'm terrified to die. It's gotten to the point that I'm afraid to do anything- ie I went to the lake today for a walk after work and now I'm scared that I inhaled an amoeba. I can't concentrate I just cry, pace and worry.
I made an appointment with a therapist that I've seen in the past, but his soonest availability is a week away. Moreover, the soonest I can see my family Dr. is November. What do I do in the meantime, I'm a mess? Health history-migraine, allergies, anxiety.
Healthy weight, non smoker, non drinker.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

you can go to the ER for evaluation. the ER doctors can assess your psychological issues and prescribe you to start on anti-anxiety medications and anxiety depression medications to start on and you can follow up with your primary care doctor for adjustment of your medication

your primary care doctor can also refer you to see a psychiatrist if you need to.

ER doctors can assess psychological issues and prescribe treatments which last for 1-2 weeks until you can follow up with your primary care doctor.

do you have an ER or urgent care center close to you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We do have a hospital and several urgent care centers in the area, however I wasn't hoping to rush into medication. (I don't take medication, not even for my occasional migraines). I do everything naturally. I was more wondering if this type of reaction is "normal" and what I can do at home in the meantime.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

no, your reaction is not normal and is worse grieving symptoms than normal

when grieving causes you to not to be able to concentrate and, it can start to affect your work and your personal relationships.

you need to talk to a psychotherapist and see a doctor or psychiatrist about your symptoms

you can also work on exercise therapy and meditation therapy yourself

but you need professional help from a doctor or psychiatrist to assess your symptoms and treat you

if not, your symptoms could get worse and can affect your work and home life.