Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have been on suboxen for 4 weeks, taking a half of an 8mg

Customer Question

I have been on suboxen for 4 weeks, taking a half of an 8mg film under my tongue in the morning and the other half at night. Apparently United Health (Carrier) will not even carry it now and they tell me that them filling the script the first time was a mistake and really left me feeling pretty much at someone else's mercy and do not want to use and feel much better than a month ago and am begging someone o help me fill either suboxen or subutex either one. I am very successful business owner and do not want to ever be where I just came from and yes I go NA & AA meeting regularly. I have the monetary means just do not have the suboxen
Thx Joe
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

It will help if you could provide some clarification. Let me make sure that I understand the situation.

You saw a physician that prescribed the Suboxone. You got the prescription filled and United Health Care covered the first pharmacy charge for the drug, but now United Health Care is saying that they will not cover any further charges for filling the drug. Is that correct?

Is the physician an independent physician? Or are they an employee of United Health Care?

I had asked for some clarification and have not heard back.

If the issue is that United Health Care is not willing to cover the doctor or pharmacy charges for the Suboxone, but you have the financial resources, then you can continue to see the same physician and fill the drug in any pharmacy. The only difference is that you would need to pay for the doctor visit and pharmacy charges out of your own pocket.

If this physician is an employee of United Health Care, so that it is not an option for you to continue seeing this doctor, then you would need to find a different doctor. Most doctors are not employees of the insurance companies though, but rather have provider agreements with the insurance company, and doctors with such contracts can still see you outside the contract.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.