Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I just learned my 78 year old sister was scammed by a man

Customer Question

I just learned my 78 year old sister was scammed by a man form So. Africa . She wired him 950.00 today and is very upset that he scammed her.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.

Are you seeking a legal opinion or a medical opinion?

I had asked for clarification of whether you were seeking a legal or medical opinion and have not heard back.

From a medical perspective, the primary issue is whether her being upset is of such symptoms and severity that it would be considered anxiety or depression. Medical treatment would be oriented towards these medical conditions if they were to develop in this situation. The treatment would be slightly different according to which symptoms are present and the duration of symptoms. If she is having short-term anxiety, then a short-acting anti-anxiety medicine would be appropriate. If the symptoms are of longer duration, then an antidepressant is usually better tolerated for long term treatment, for either anxiety or depression.