Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I have had diarrhea now 9 days now. I'm going about 9-10

Customer Question

I have had diarrhea now 9 days now. I'm going about 9-10 today alone. I haven't had any signs of blood, or black stool and or fatigue or other classic symptoms of colon cancer other than this daily frequent diarrhea.
I went to a gastroenterologist this week, and he did a stool culture and prescribed ciprofloxacin and metronidazole in the event of infection.
Can this be colon cancer?
Can this be related to sexual rimming?
I'm wondering what I should do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

I am a cancer doctor

colon cancer tends to bleed and cause blood in the stool

9 days of diarrhea isn't a typical presentation of colon cancer.

if you were performing sexual rimming, you could have ingested ecoli bacteria and this can cause enteritis infection and cause 9 days of diarrhea.

I am glad you saw a GI specialist and got a stool culture to check for infections like c diff infections.

follow up with your GI doctor to find out the results of the stool culture.

you might have to take the cipro and metronidazole.

you should eat more constipating foods for now like bananas, rice, cheese, to help slow down your bowels

make sure you drink plenty of fluids and gadorade to replace fluid lost in your diarrhea.

is the stool mostly water or mostly stool?

when is your follow up appointment with your GI doctor to find out the results of your stool culture?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I disagree.

The antibiotic recommendation suggested is for diverticulitis.

If this is what your doctor thinks, you should take the antibiotics.

Cancer can not be ruled out without a colonoscopy.

An much of precancer and cancer polyps do NOT present with bleeding.

You need a scope anyway at your age.

In fact, at age 50 and 60.

I am a double board certified clinical doctor...meaning I have taken care of people such as you for over 20 years.

Please click a positive rating if you appreciate my expertise, and I will get paid.

Please let me know of any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

your doctor thought it was more likely to be infection your symptoms of diarrhea.

I hope you got blood work to check for dehydration and elevated BUN and creatinine levels.

if you are dehydrated from your 9 days of diarrhea, you might need to be hospitalized for IV fluid hydration.

infection is much more likely than colon cancer.

if you start to take your antibiotics of cipro and metronidazole, you should take probiotics like philips colon health probiotics daily to prevent risk for c diff infections and diarrhea caused by antibiotics.

yes, antibiotics can kill good bacteria in your bowels and cause more diarrhea problems often.

probiotics taken daily can help prevent this.

if you have had a colonoscopy in the last 5-10 years, you might not need another colonoscopy.

colon polyps would not cause diarrhea for 9 days.

let me know if you have questions.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hi

There are all types of polyps.

There are polyps that have become cancerous.

As you can see here, the mayo clinic, no less, states that a large colon polyp can cause diarrhea

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/colon-polyps/basics/symptoms/con-20031957

So, as I said, I am a double board certified clinical doctor. We see it all. We know what disease is about.

Find me any day to save time, get safe, accurate and concise answers.

Please click a positive on this post if you appreciate my accuracy.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

I am a cancer doctor who treats patients with colon cancer.

I am glad you started a course of antibiotics.

diarrhea which gets better with antibiotic therapy would not be caused by a polyp.

make sure you take probiotics with your antibiotics.

if you have had a colonoscopy in the last 5-10 years and haven't shown polyps, it would be unlikely for you to have a cancerous polyp now.